Pages - Menu

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Paralyzed Man Gets Help Through Facebook


A Southern Colorado man's service dogs had to be put down recently, but thanks to our 11 News Facebook page, one woman has stepped up to help the family. Both say it's incredible how our Facebook page brought them together and that their meeting is a like small miracle.

With a history of medical issues, Grant Archibald has been paralyzed from the waist down since 1993. While in surgery to repair a tethered spinal cord, doctors found something else.

"They had to remove a tumor off the base of my spinal cord. I walked in but I didn't walk out," Archibald recalls.

For ten years he had two service dogs by his side, Thunder and Lightning. This year, he lost both to cancer.

"They are life savers. I mean these dogs can do just about anything. When I had to say goodbye, it was probably, it was like my right arm was taken off," Archibald said.

In desperate need of help, 11 News spread the word about his situation on our facebook page and it was Stefanie Loney's neighbor who showed her our post and got her involved.

Loney’s dogs recently had a litter of ten puppies which was a surprise for the family. But once she knew they could help, she was more than happy to do it.

"It's like I want to help people, and if I can, I will,” Loney said. “To have puppies and help him to have a better life, why not?"

Sunday, Loney and her family brought four pure bred German Shepherd puppies to Archibald’s home. She let him choose two as he begins the training process all over.

"For somebody to do this out of the goodness of their heart, that just amazes me. That amazes me, I mean that, is real magic," Archibald said happily.

"Just to see him (Archibald) talk about the puppies and being so overwhelmed with happiness makes me happy," Loney said smiling.

After an hour of watching the puppies play around his wheelchair, Archibald selected two. They’ll be named Rolex and Bulova, his "watch" dogs.

"It was one of the best things anybody's ever done for me," Archibald said tearing up.

Archibald also says this act of kindness by Loney and her family helped him put his faith back in the Colorado Springs community and their willingness to help those who need it.

People are still offering to help. Sunday night, an anonymous donor gave 11 News a check for $200 to help Archibald and his wife offset the cost of shots and anything else they might need to get these puppies started on their training. When 11 News told Archibald over the phone, not only was he very happy, but he could be heard getting choked up.

Source : kktv.com/